Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Whatever Floats Your Goat

Did you know that in Mumbai, at temperatures over 80 degrees, goats are so cold they need to wear sweaters? On my first day in Delhi I was amazed at how many dogs were wearing coats. Although you might think that these are simply stray dogs wandering through the market looking for food, it was very apparent that these are pets who are loved. As we walked through some of the Dharavi housing yesterday we saw a number of goats wearing covers ranging from a burlap sack to a brand-new orange sweatshirt. When asked, the people explained that it is very cold out, and they didn't want the goat to get cold. And frankly, after living through a Mumbai summer, the goat may very well be acclimated to the heat. Here is yet another example of how my preconceived notions are being challenged as I experience India in so many ways.

I was amazed by the extensive work that Vaatsalya is doing to ensure excellence in patient care and operations. I was not prepared today to hear a presentation on getting hospital certification after my experience with the rural health facilities we saw in Palwal. Although they were clearly providing services for the public good, the difference in approach was completely dissimilar. I hope that organizations such as Vaatsalya can continue to find ways to improve patient care and their bottom line in the rural, lower income market.

No comments:

Post a Comment