Friday, January 20, 2012

Revisiting India

Between fighting jet-lag and trying to keep up with the reading for my public health classes, I've been revisiting pictures from India. I'm glad I had a really great time on this trip because I left for India feeling rather anxious. It might have been the post-finals daze or the relentless reminders to avoid the tap water, dairy products, fresh fruits, meat, the street children, mosquitoes...the list goes on. Honestly, I think I managed to break all the rules within the first week, with the exception of avoiding tap water.

During my time in India, I managed to place myself in rather uncomfortable situations. For example: being the fourth person in a tuk-tuk ride in the middle of heavy traffic, having to use a squat toilet in Old Delhi, navigating the small alleys of the Dharavi slum, and crossing the traffic-laden streets of Bangalore during rush hour. The discomfort of these situations and many others while on the trip helped me to become a more resilient traveler and less high-maintenance overall.

While I can't say I learned the art of crossing an Indian street, I did learn to love the energy that pulsates all throughout India. Despite the sometimes chaotic conditions of the country, the Indian people are welcoming, highly innovative, and tirelessly entrepreneurial. As I progress through a career in global marketing, I really hope I get the opportunity to live and work in India in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment